Mara is a vibrant community in the North Okanagan. The initial permanent European settlers in the Mara district were largely from an area in Austria called Kaernten, a region around Budapest, Hungary. They came shortly after the CPR railway crossed to Vancouver in 1885 and followed railway workers involved with the construction of the railway. All were excited by what they found in this part of the North Okanagan: a wide river valley, fertile soil, timber and water.
They stayed, applied for a homestead and shared their discovery with friends and family. The Mara valley soon filled with migrants from Canada, Italy, Ireland, Austria, Germany, Finland, Belgium, Netherlands, United Kingdom, and the United States. Read More....
Mara Community Events
- For information on booking the park or hosting events email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enderby Recreation Yoga with Lori on Fridays @ 9:30-10:30 am (10 Classes for $63/Adult, $54/Senior, or use you previously purchased passes.
- Coming in January and February, 2024 four classes will be offered, preregistration only, minimum of 6 participants for each class. (see button below
- Get your MM&AA Membership and 2024 Calendars available soon. Membership is $20/household, including the calendar. Extra calendars are available for $15,
- Check out Mara Community Info and Happenings Fachebook Page
- Rail Trail meeting Outcome: click on the button below to view PDF of the Mara Hall Trail Access Management Report which is the culmination of the meeting held about the Rail Trail back in February, 2023.
- Mosquito Control is possibly coming soon in 2024. This is an RDNO initiative for Area F. Please click the Button Below to view a PDF of the presentation on the application process of the mosquito control (April, 2023).
Putula Park was created in 1986 when the MM&AA took responsibility for the facility, initially marked by a skating rink/tennis court and a gazebo.
More recent upgrades to the park include a playground, baseball diamond, and soccer pitch, facilitating community celebrations and athletics.
Watch for the seasonal Farmer's Market!
Rental Agreement PDF
For information on booking the park or hosting events email email@example.com
Community Care Line
The Mara Community Care Group exists to provide emergency and short term assistance to members of our community. We are here to help. If you live in Mara and need:
• A ride
• A friendly visit
• A meal
• A helping hand
If you are aware of someone who has recently moved in to the neighbourhood, please let us know.
Call 250.838.7599 and leave a message. A Volunteer will return your call.
Historical Background Click Here
(Vernon & District Family History Society)
For cemetery information email
Mara Community Church
396 Riverside Road
Interdenominational church services with weekly Sunday services at 11:00 am
We support our community by:
Mara Provincial Park
11 Coell Jones Road
Mara Hall is available for rent to the public for weddings, business meetings, dances, concerts and other events. The hall comes complete with a kitchen, piano and stage.
Seats 120. Tables and chairs are available.
Click here for photos
Rental Agreement PDF
For more info email firstname.lastname@example.org
Who is Mara Musical and Athletic Association (MMAA)?
For many years, the association focused on community events, including celebrations, plays, musicals, and the support of athletic activities, while operating and maintaining the community hall and cemetery.
Current Association activities include operation and maintenance of our facilities, largely funded by the Regional District. A telephone help line, post secondary scholarships, and a Christmas hamper program, are paid for through donations, fund raising events and Association membership fees.
To reach MMAA with your questions, comments or to say hello complete this form.